Saturday, July 25, 2009

Shark attack

It's Shark Week, and not on Discovery Channel. Real life, baby. The annual Monster Shark Tournament is this weekend and I didn't even know about it was in my backyard until tonight. I knew the tournament was happening, but never thought I could see a shark, so was disinterested. I stopped by Mediterranean tonight and learned from Marcio that fisherman were pulling out huge maneaters for everyone to see all day.

Took a stroll through along the harbor this evening; didn't see any sharks like my friend Marcio did earlier, but did see a ton of boats and activity. Nice atmosphere. Photos below. I'll go back tomorrow and try to see some actual beasts.


Oak Bluffs Harbor, packed even more than usual.

Looks like someone landed a hand.

Wonderful.

Lot of rods.

Also, as far as I can tell, the Sunday New York Times will feature Martha's Vineyard for its "36 Hours" travel story this week. The article has been online for a couple days -- check it out here. Some bizarre observations ("Martha's Vineyard is like a miniature Ireland" and "The island isn't known for night life," followed by a faulty recommendation for a "cool spot" when there are much better watering holes within a minute's walk), but also some dead-on recommendations like seeing the island from a boat (did it this week) and Back Door Donuts (on my street, a late-night donut cult while they're baked fresh, I indulge frequently). The story also convinced me to get over to West Tisbury some morning to check out the farmer's market. You win, New York Times.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...someone caught a hand? Guess that'll be turned into a hand-burger later....perhaps a handburger w/ cheese? HEY NOW!

    How was the premiere of "The Kings"?

    ReplyDelete