Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Beginning of the Beginning

I joined the Dharma Initiative and moved to The Island yesterday.


I graduated college. I came to Martha's Vineyard for an internship at a weekly newspaper. I'll spend the next four months writing arts and entertainment, features, and stuff-to-do stories for This Week on Martha's Vineyard [Web site isn't up yet] and working -- see: hopefully getting crazy mad insane wicked good tips -- at Mediterranean Restaurant.

My new pad is at 37 Circuit Avenue -- a main street in the island's most hoppin' town, Oak Bluffs. I live above a Black Dog store, the LL Bean of Martha's Vineyard, where all the schwag with the black pooch is sold. Incidentally, I've seen a bunch of real-life, tongue-waggin' dags that resemble the MV icon already.

I'm living with -- wait for it -- 9 girls and two guys. My friend Kiwi asked if Hillary Duff will be my roommate and Steve Martin will be my dad. Ha. Ha. Ha. Here's hoping it's more like my living situation in Wales than a sorority -- or a homeless shelter. Regardless, I don't plan to waste much time stagnating indoors, although I do have a desk in a little corner nook of my bedroom (like, ahem, my main man Stephen King) that I'm looking forward to writing at.

I'll keep this blog as fast, furious and as far as possible from my everything-I-write-has-to-be-epic-length tendencies, so as to stay encouraged and motivated to update many times a week. I'm titling it Chapter One since this summer on MV is my first step in the REAL real world, after college. I'm not sure what Chapter Two will be yet, but no worries -- I'm just going to chronicle my life, exploration, and writing experiences on this island as thoroughly as possible in this blog. Stick around -- it's going to be fun.


4 comments:

  1. Yay for you!

    I've actually been to that Black Dog store and have one of their infamous shirts (along with ten million other things I bought there in 2003 in prep for the real black lab we brought home a few months later), so it's cool that I can picture where you are. You're going to have a blast... can't wait to live vicariously...

    - e

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool, E! What's your lab's name? I am so pumped you've been right where I'm living. I failed to mention in the blog I live directly across from a liquor store and a grocery store. Weee!

    You feeling like you live vicariously is a huge compliment to me -- you're an awesome freelance writer and especially a fantastic blogger. Hopefully I can keep up here. I just added a buncha widget thingers on the right sidebar and am pretty jazzed to take blogging seriously now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your massive linking is very nytimes-esque. <3 Keeping blogging, Zach, I look forward to reading this summer! -pattie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, thanks, Pattie. Maybe they'll be charitable and give me a spot writing arts or travel just for my profuse linking :)

    ReplyDelete