Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Life before job

I don't start working at the restaurant until Friday. Here's a typical day for me so far (which doesn't say much as I've been here since Saturday, but c'mon. Lists rule):

9 a.m. – Alarm goes off. Fall back asleep.
10 a.m. – Wake up.
10 to 11 a.m. – Breakfast, shower, get ready to go out.
11 to 11:30 a.m. – Find out laundry will cost at least $5 per load. Comb Circuit Avenue for sunglasses; too bright to read outside without them. Find a pair for $6. Rock and roll.
11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. – Read Stephen King’s “Desperation” in Ocean Park, on the grass. Pretty chilly actually. Also strange to be reading something gruesome outdoors on a beautiful, sunny day.

Ocean Park reading vantage point. Not the best picture of the nice spot, but this kid was absolutely terrorizing the geese. Running at them, screaming, nonstop. Probably something I did at age whatever.

12:30 to 1 p.m. – Skype with Mary.
1 to 2 p.m. – Write for blog.
2 to 4 p.m. – Nap way longer than I mean to. Mum will later justify this to me by saying, "You've worked hard for four years in college. You deserve to rest." Nice. No more guilt.
6:30 to 7:15 p.m. – Bike a little more than two miles to Vineyard Haven to buy sesame tahini from Stop & Shop. They don’t have it at the grocery store directly across the street from me. I need it to make hummus. Think of some stuff for the blog and jot it down.
7:15 to 8 p.m. – Stop at a beach on the ride bike and watch the sunset. Write some more.
8 p.m. – Reset my trip meter on my GPS so I can have a vague idea how much I bike this summer. Unfortunately I only bring the GPS with me if I don’t know where I’m going. I need a bike mount for it. Anyway, get up to 26 mph. Cruisin'.
8:15 – 9:30 p.m. – Make hummus. Eat hummus, red peppers, cheese, pita bread. This will not help me become less skinny. Talk to mum and sister on phone.
10:30 p.m. – Reinforcements arrive: Rhiannon and Andrew from UMaine show up to live in MV for the summer. We grab a beer at Offshore Ale, an island brewery and pub where you can throw peanuts all over the floor. I have a delicious coffee porter.
12 a.m. – G’night to Mary, doze off with a movie.

If you're interested, I guess I'm Twittering -- twitter.com/ZachDionne.

No comments:

Post a Comment