Thursday, May 28, 2009

Vineyard books, Vineyard writers

"When I think of the Vineyard, my ankles feel good -- bare, airy, lean. Full of bones. I go barefoot there in recollection, and the island as remembered becomes a medley of pedal sensations."
-John Updike, "Going Barefoot" essay, 1989


What a fitting quote for me to find in the bookstore yesterday, on a day when I was concerned with the well-being of mine own feets. (Faithful readers, no worries, my weird feet emerged unscathed from a day of no-sock boat shoe battle)

The first day working at Book Den East was marvelous. The owners, Ivo and Piret, are probably the coolest islanders I've met so far -- they're legitimately, as opposed to falsely, down-to-earth, easy to talk to, helpful, and, most importantly, book lovers.

Book Den East is the only actual used book shop on the island; the only competition is thrift shops and yard sales. This didn't stop us from only getting five buying customers and a few pairs of lookie-loos on a dreary, gray day, but a big part of the job is organization and maintenance in the shop, so it was still a solid day's work. I'll save more description of the shop and what it's like to work there for a day when I've taken photos. For now, suffice to say it was humbling and inspiring to be surrounded by books all day, to take hours to soak in exactly how many writers and works have been published.

A writer can't treat work in a bookstore like any old job. It'd be like Picasso punching a timecard mindlessly for a janitorial shift at the Louvre -- if that didn't cross time periods and I couldn't think of a more robust metaphor, which I cannot. The fulfilling nature of working in a used bookstore also includes endless opportunities to meet authors through their words, with no access to my lightning quick Wikipedia instinct. I spent quite a bit of time sifting through Mr. Updike's material and can't wait to pick up a full novel as soon as possible. [For more about reading, I'll post my summer reading list in the comments. Don't want to inundate this post with any more blather than necessary.]

The point of this entry, the interesting factoid you're hunting for, is that I learned about two Vineyard-centric writers yesterday. One is Henry Beetle Hough, a now deceased fella who helped found the Vineyard Gazette newspaper and spent many of his days as editor and author, writing, from what I can gather, a hybrid of journalism, non-fiction essays and maybe some fiction. I thumbed through a copy of his autobiography, "Mostly on Martha's Vineyard: A Personal Record," and am looking forward to spending more time with it on a slow day. A People magazine article I found calls Hough "almost synonymous with the Vineyard." Sounds like required reading to me. Comparing the experiences I have with places and the experiences writers have chronicled between covers is a blast.

The other author I investigated is Philip R. Craig, also deceased, who wrote a string of 20 mystery novels all set on Martha's Vineyard. They've got stupendously cheesy titles like "A Deadly Vineyard Holiday," "Dead in Vineyard Sand," "A Case of Vineyard Poison" and, my favorite, "Murder at a Vineyard Mansion." Leave it to me, a Stephen King fanatic who honed my suspense chops on heaping helpings of R.L. Stine, but I think Craig's bread and butter was cheap thrill novels meant to be read under a beach umbrella. I'll still give him a shot as he was an unarguably prolific Vineyard author. Plus, he wrote a charming little autobiography on his website, and I made fun of his titles posthumously. I owe him a cruise through at least one measley paperback...

4 comments:

  1. First of all, you’re not going to be able to continue with your day until you click that picture of R.L. Stine. What a goon. I wish I’d always known the goofy face behind the Goosebumps series I was devouring monthly for a solid few years of my childhood.

    Here’s the summer reading jazz.

    Now reading: Desperation by Stephen King.

    Upcoming reading, stacked in this order on my desk:
    -Things the Grandchildren Should Know by Mark Oliver Everett (a reread, but it's terrific and I want to get in the EELS spirit by rereading E's biography before Hombre Lobo drops on June 2)
    Thennn we move to the gifts I've received since Christmas and didn't have a spare second to open in my last college semester:
    -Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
    -The Mole People by Jennifer Toth
    -1984 by George Orwell
    -Buyout by Alex Irvine
    -Secret Windows by Stephen King (collection of essays, unpublished bits and rarities)
    -The Art of Travel by Alain de Botton
    -Empire Falls by Richard Russo

    Then I'll move to the box of books I brought to the Vineyard and the inventory of the bookstore. Ones I'm most excited for/determined to read:
    -Something by Updike and Capote (both firsts), and some more Steinbeck and Twain
    -The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub
    -Black House by Stephen King and Peter Straub
    -Ciao, America! by Beppe Severgnini
    -Dune by Frank Herbert
    -Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt
    -Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
    -On Writing by Stephen King (re-re-re-read)
    -Notes From a Small Island by Bill Bryson
    -The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
    -Annnd finish my Best American Short Stories 2007 and peruse SK's Nightmares and Dreamscapes and The Great Short Stories of Robert Louis Stevenson.

    Ambitious? Bah. I'm a couple minutes away from the beach with nothing better to do than write, read and work. I'll nail most of these.

    Suggestions, tangential to these or out of the blue, are welcome.

    My recommendation to YOU for the summer: Read The Dark Tower, Stephen King’s magnum opus and an incredibly fun, thought-provoking, satisfying seven-book series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. R. L. Stine looks like a complete nerd!

    I read every single Goosebumps book several times as a kid, they were like oxygen to me back then! Loved them! I also watched a Goosebumps PLAY, so I guess that makes me a complete nerd too.
    Good times.

    I'm definitely going to read Gunslinger soon.

    Kayley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I know, he looks like a wicked goon. I didn't know you were such a Goosebumps fan, but that makes sense. Awesome :) What was the play of?

    Can't WAIT for you to start The Dark Tower. Just make sure you -- and anyone reading this -- reads the first two back-to-back to really get hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remember which book the play was, I think it was a play first and then they gave out copies of the book when you went to watch it. It wasn't one of the classics anyway! But still very enjoyable.
    The thing I most remember about Goosbumps was that pretty much every book started with the kid moving to a new house, and the kid always wore khaki!

    Might read The Dark Tower next week, on the plane to Disney!! :)

    Kayley

    ReplyDelete