Tuesday, May 26, 2009

How I spent today figuring out ways to make and save money instead of blogging

Forget the recession, I'm in full-force money saving mode just for living on Martha's Vineyard and moving somewhere (likely forecast: Brooklyn) in the fall. Here's what I've got so far:

1) Pick up a second regular job, third job counting the internship (which I don't, because it's writing, which is my thang) at a used bookstore in Oak Bluffs, the Book Den East. Starting tomorrow morning. I've been visiting most bookstores that cross my path and writing about some of them for ages -- can't wait to work in one!

Not the bookstore I'll be working at, but a cool staircase I saw this weekend at a bookstore in Edgartown.

2) Call the editor of a wedding magazine my internship editor referred me to. Find out she'll pay me a decent price to write feature stories on couples and other articles about wedding venues and foods. It's nothing I ever imagined, but it's writing, the deadlines are soon, it's hefty word length, and I'm psyched. Getting paid to do what you love is an immensely fulfilling feeling.
3) Compare prices at two closest grocery stores (closeness matters when you're going on foot or with a bike and a backpack). We're talking two-columns in a notebook, cent for cent comparisons. Stop & Shop in Vineyard Haven (2ish miles away) or Edgartown (5ish miles away) will be my new go-to spots for big grocery loads; I'll keep using Reliable across the street for my oh-crap-I-forgot-something needs.

Annnd Stop & Shop wins by a landslide over Reliable, the ShurFine grocery across the street from me.

4) Little things: No more juice. It's nice with breakfast, but expensive, easy to drink a lot of, and water's fine. Make own hummus instead of buying pricey ready-made stuff. Start buying yogurt in the huge containers instead of the single serving guys. Realize that while a tub of ice cream may seem like a luxury purchase, it will actually save me money from frequently buying cones at the bazillion places located around the island. Splurge sparingly on ludicrously priced microbrews. I'm sure this part of the list will extend rapidly.
5) For every dollar spent on alcohol, deposit one dollar into savings account. Ingenious method of turning the cornerstore of recreation for 20-somethings into a strong savings foundation, if I do say so meself.
6) Tell the manager at the restaurant I'll work as much as possible. Train for bar-backing on Friday and work bussing a function on Saturday morning.
7) Keep scouring the Web for freelance writing. Keep networking. Keep writing every day.

I decided today if I'm going to keep up with my daily post quota, a lot of these entries will be blurbs rather than all-out blogs (I'd classify this entry as a blurb). As I've said, bear with me, because real, insightful writing and occasional actual reporting are destined for this page as the summer wears on.

5 comments:

  1. Way to go ZACHHHHHH WOOOOOOOO Niceness Love your Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice grocery comparison list cousin! I had to leave a comment as Life cereal is also a favourite of mine, and Chex! which I have not seen in Canada :( Anyway, enjoy the Island, best of luck with your goals, and if you're ever up Halifax-way, gimme a shout :)

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to work in a bookstore, too! Actually, I have no idea where I'm going to work when I get out there. But I think that will be high on my list of things to get accomplished. If all goes well, I should be there one week from today. At least I now know where *not* to shop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mum - Hi Mom :)

    Sarah - Hah, awesome. Our cereal preference is surely genetic. And hey, I'm so happy you posted on here because now I'm following YOUR blog and am excited to keep up to date with you :) I'm working with an urban planning student and got to name drop you the other day. Woohoo! I will certainly let you know whenever I'm ready to cross ze border.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Despite all your money problems I hope you gonna find 15 bucks for Hombre Lobo. But how I know you the answer is yes - Just make priorities. 3rd - Books, 2nd - Food, 1st - EELS. By the way... I´m going to buy the album TOMORROW!!!! Woooo!
    I send you a lot of power for all your jobs.
    All the best, Bruder.
    Bastian

    ReplyDelete