Sunday, June 28, 2009

USA vs Brazil: Perfect football match for Martha's Vineyard


I'm in Seasons pub on Circuit Avenue watching the final of the Confederations Cup, US vs Brazil in South Africa. It's 2-0 US at the moment -- the entire bar is going crazy after every goal. I'm not sure how many Brazilians are here -- we'll find out if they score a goal -- but I know the island is a Brazilian hotbed and this is a big match, not only as a World Cup barometer, but for bragging rights on the island.

UPDATE: We may have a few more Brazilians in the house than I suspected, based on the reaction of that just-missed kick by Brazil in stoppage time in the first half. Yikes.

UPDATE: Nope, no Brazilians here. Absolute silence after that goal less than a minute into the second half. Oh, wait, one woman's started clapping and cheering. My bad.

UPDATE: Texted Brazilian amigo on the Vineyard, Marcio, and said, "You're goin down, Brazil." Reply: "Wait till the game is over."

UPDATE: Marcio is talking more crap. Tied 2-2. I have to be at work soon...ahh!

UPDATE: Ugh. 3-2 on a header. Maybe I won't have any problems getting to work early.

UDPATE: Oof. Nice comeback, Brazil. Heartbreaker for the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment